Jan Śniadecki (August 29, 1756– November 9, 1830) was a Polish mathematician, philosopher and astronomer at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries.
Born in Żnin, Śniadecki studied at Kraków University and in Paris. He was rector of the Imperial University of Vilnius, a member of the Commission of National Education, and director of astronomical observatories at Kraków and Vilnius. He died at Jašiūnai Manor near Vilnius.
Śniadecki published many works, including his observations on recently discovered planetoids. His O rachunku losów (On the Calculation of Chance, 1817) was a pioneering work in probability.
He was brother to Jędrzej Śniadecki.
- "Rachunku algebraicznego teoria" (1783)
- "Geografia, czyli opisanie matematyczne i fizyczne ziemi" (1804)
- "Rozprawa o Koperniku" ( Discourse on Nicolaus Copernicus, biography, 1802)
- "O rachunku losów" (1817)
- "Trygonometria kulista analitycznie wyłożona" (1817)
- "O pismach klasycznych i romantycznych", Dziennik Wileński (1819)
- "Filozofia umysłu ludzkiego" (1821)
|Relation name||Relation type||Description|
No events set